1 week ago
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Beach Volleyball update - Undefeated season
Beach volleyball in Ohio, who’d thunk it? My wife of course. As most of you know she is a volleyball lunatic. She played throughout high school and went on to play in college. Last year for her birthday I got her tickets to the AVP in Chicago and she went ballistic. I don’t think she was that excited for our marriage. (I’m beginning to see where I rank) At the event she knew everyone, got pictures with her favorite pro players and began my lessons on the rules of the game. She’s been trying to get me to play the last couple of years but I think has been to embarrassed at my skill level and never put together a team I was worthy of playing on. This year that changed, she finally dropped down to my level of play and we got on a coed team. I got a call from my little brother, Todd who is living in Kent OH. They have a beach volleyball league going on and asked if we’d be interested in playing the next session. This was my chance, “Ya…we’re in” How hard can this be, I thought to myself as we drove up the first game. 10 minutes later, sweat dripping from my forehead and breathing hard I realized, dang this is tough, harder then I thought. We were losing our first game and I was thinking it was because of me, I think I missed my first spike, put the first serve into the net…well - we battled back and won the first game and then went on to be the only undefeated team in season play. 24 – 0. I think I was the only 6’-4” guy who could not spike. Towards the end of the season I was spiking 30% of the sets, but man…the other 70% were ugly, I could not get the timing and angle right but I did get slightly better as time progressed, which I guess is all I could ask for seeing I’ve never played before. Connie was very encouraging with her smiling, snickering and all out falling to the ground in hysterical laughter when I would be set up for the perfect spike and I’d shank it. The season ended with us going into the tournament. Since we were undefeated we had a bye and did not start play until 10:30pm, for us that is late. We were both up at 5:30 in the morning, Connie went to work, and I jumped on the bike and rode 1 ½ hours to work in Akron. Well the opposing team climbed up the tourney ladder and was hot after just playing, we had not played at all and here we where in the quarter finals…needless to say we gave away our first game and lost, all of us miss-serving about 9 points…it was ugly. We battled back and won the next two games and took the set. This moved us into the semi-finals and we had our next game at 11:30pm. Once again we played awful. We gave away many points and we lost the set 2-1 to a team we had swept in the regular season. Still pondering what happened - we simply had no mojo that night. The other team did not play good either, it was an ugly semi-final game, I apologize to anyone who was watching. It was a good chance to see how my wife played under pressure…whooo..look out! Intense! I think I played the worst I’ve played all season. It was probably a good thing we lost though, the other bracket in the tournament was behind schedule and if we’d won we’d be in the finals with the match not starting til after 1:00am.
We had fun and I learned a lot. My wife kicks ass at volleyball...this is her game! She has a wicked serve and would make a great coach as she broke it down for me many times. I tried to make my highly critical wife proud, but I’m not sure I succeeded. I did get a couple high-fives from her when I did get a strong spike or a good block. The real test we be if she ever asks me to play on another team with her again, but 24-0 aint bad…is it?
Posted by Kevin Daum