Sunday, November 15, 2009

118 mile ride to Columbus

Saturday, 65 degrees middle of November...who'd thunk it?  Today was good.  Cavs won, Buckeyes won, the Medina Soccer team won the state championship and I got in a 118 mile road ride.  Instead of wasting 2 hours in the car driving to Columbus Crew Soccer Stadium to the watch the state championship match I decide to see where my fitness stood.  I have not ridden much the last 2 years but planning to jump back in next year with another attack at Leadville and various other races.  So set off to see how 100 miles would feel this early in the comeback training.  Choose a great route, thru seville to route 3 into Wooster then hopped on 95 thru Mohican State Forest / Butler onto Fredericktown (got lost for a few minutes) to Sparta Rd to 65 to Cleveland to Hudson to Crew Stadium... low traffic, (until Columbus) good clean roads and great scenery.  The only bummer was the wind which was in my face the entire way, I was shooting for a 20mph pace but ended up with 17avg.  not bad considering i could not hear the music through my headphones due to the constant low grade wind and had no pace line to hide behind.  Ride took me 7 hours, I arrived to game 20 minutes late, but just in time to enter the stadium and witness the first goal of the match which put us up 1-0 at half.  The second half Medina found the net 3 more times to win the State Championship 4-0.

No comments: